Fermenting grains + fruits into alcohol has been a traditional practice for thousands of years, just like fermenting + pickling vegetables!
It was a way to utilize excess crops and for preservation.
Further, it was discovered to have pain relieving abilities, brings heat to the body to fight off infection or fever, is antiseptic, and used medicinally to make herbal tinctures.
Lastly, it’s been a part of social gatherings and traditions!
As with anything in nature, even if it’s healing and medicinal, too much can be toxic. So of course, use in moderation (as alcohol is effective in a low dose) and stay away completely if alcoholism or addiction is a concern.
But today, we’re talking ELIXIRS and looking at the medicinal use of alcohol in small doses.
Wait, did someone say margaritas!?
Oh yeah! We have a muy delicioso whole fruit margarita recipe for your Cinco de Mayo!
*It would be great as a mocktail too!
Elixir: e·lix·ir /əˈliksər/ noun
- a magical or medicinal potion.
- a sweetened liquid usually containing alcohol that is used in medication either for its medicinal ingredients or as a flavoring
Join Cara + Megan in Episode 20 of Simply Seasonal:
- Understand what alcohol does for the physical and emotional body
- Learn how to use alcohol medicinally
- Make better choices with cocktails and mixers
- Which types of alcohol are appropriate for spring/summer time
- How to turn your cocktails into elixirs
Balance, heal, thrive,
Cara + Megan
If you find this episode helpful, please share with your friends.
Have questions after the episode?
Watch our LIVE Q&A below!
First, muddle the blackberries + cilantro.
Then, pour the blended lemon, lime, tequila, cointreau + ice over the top
Garnish with a blackberry, lime + sprig of cilantro!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Blackberry Cilantro Whole Fruit Margarita
- 1 lemon, peeled
- 1 lime, peeled
- 1 orange, peeled
- 4 oz tequila
- 1 oz Cointreau or Grand Marnier
- 2 cups ice
- 1 tbs honey
- 3 blackberries (per glass)
- 2 sprigs cilantro, stemmed (per glass)
- In a high power blender, combine lemon, lime, orange, tequila, cointreau or grand marnier, ice & honey. Blend on high until combined.
- In each glass, muddle the blackberries & cilantro.
- Pour the blended margarita over the top and garnish each glass with a blackberry, lime, and sprig of cilantro. Cheers!
If you enjoyed this recipe we would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below and be sure to share with family and friends.
Megan + Cara