Recipe: Winter Lentil Soup
Winter Soup + Stews
In this episode, Cara + Megan show you the simplest way to get winter veggies into your day!
And soups and stews do just that! They’re the simplest way to pack in winter veggies, beans, lentils, meats, bone broths, and spices!
Watch as they demonstrate the basic veggie combinations to start a soup or stew and all of the ways you can customize it depending on what you have on hand!
So cozy up, press play, and learn how to eat Simply Seasonal this winter!
Yum! Want the delicious lentil soup recipe Cara made in the episode? Here it is!
Winter Lentil Soup
Recipe by: Simply Seasonal http://www.simply-seasonal.com
Simple tip: “Always cook with Seasonal foods to balance, heal, + thrive!”
xox Cara + Megan
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2-3 carrots chopped
– 2 stalks celery, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic minced
– 1 tsp cumin
– 1 tsp paprika
– 3 cups of any variation of root vegetables cut into bite sized
(sweet potato, butternut squash, turnip, rutabaga and/or parsnips)
– 2 cups brown lentils, rinsed
– 6 cups water and/or broth
– 1 can fire roasted crushed tomatoes (or any variety of tomatoes)
– ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
– 2 cups greens, chopped (spinach or de-stemmed kale or collards)
– Fresh grated Parmesan (optional)
1. Using heavy soup pot, Sauté veggies in olive oil starting with the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Season with kosher or sea salt and pepper. About 7 minutes.
2. Add root veggies. Season again with salt and pepper, This time add cumin and paprika as well. 1-2 minutes
3. Add lentils and tomatoes, stir in with spices and veggies to incorporate and flavor.
*Cover generously with 6 cups water and/or broth.
4. Let simmer until cooked about 45 minutes, adding more water if necessary and/or preferred. Season to taste.
Optional: Use a hand blender to partially puree and thicken the soup, leaving it still chunky. Alternatively use your blender to puree a cup or two of the soup and then add back in to the pot.
5. Mix in chopped greens to wilt and soften for about 5 minutes and Parmesan (if desired).
*If using water as liquid base, more seasoning may be preferred
If you enjoyed this recipe, we’d love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below and be sure to share with family and friends.
Cara + Megan