Recipe: Corn + Zucchini Fritters
30% of American farm fields are occupied with corn. That’s a lot!
This week, we look at what’s going on with this aMAIZEing grain that’s dominating our American soil and diet.
Don’t get us wrong, we love corn… “Sweet Corn” that is.
The kind we eat on the cob, in chowder, in salsa… that corn 🌽
However, sweet corn is less than 10% of all corn grown in the US.
90% of the corn grown is GMO “field corn”. It’s inedible, yet, you’ll see how often you’re consuming it if you’re not careful!
So what’s wrong with that?
Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) raise many concerns:
They’ve been engineered in laboratories to grow stronger, faster and in any weather condition. It’s increasing crop yields 💰 but decreasing quality 😷.
The DNA has been altered to withstand RoundUp… ya know… the cancer causing herbicide they spray all over the crops? This alone is a big red flag in our book. 🚩
There are many studies proving GMOs cause tumors, digestive issues, reproductive issues and allergies in animal testing. Most countries have banned GMO’s, yet the American government claims there’s no long term proof that these foods are unsafe. 🤔
Don’t know about you… but we’d rather NOT wait for the study.
Let’s just use our common sense and always look back to nature! 🌳
Are you eating GMO corn?
GMO corn is labeled with hidden names, here’s a short list:
- Corn flour
- Corn gluten
- Cornstarch (also listed on labels as starch or vegetable starch)
- Corn oil
- Corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup
- Fructose or crystalline fructose
- … the list goes on and on!
It’s in cereal, yogurt, salad dressing, baking powder, granola bars, soft drinks, chewing gum, makeup, toothpaste, fortified milk, shampoo, diapers, perfume and pretty much ALL packaged foods in the supermarket.
How to avoid GMOs:
Avoid processed foods, packaged foods + fast food and look for the Non GMO label when buying corn, soy, and packaged products.
Let’s get back to our heritage sweet corn and the 100’s of heirloom varieties that have fed Native Americans for thousands of years!
Join Cara + Megan in Episode 39 of Simply Seasonal:
- Health benefits of sweet corn
- How corn is traditionally prepared + used medicinally
- How corn has been altered and is effecting our health
- Hidden GMO corn and how to avoid it
- The concerns of GMO’s
Balance, heal, thrive,
Cara + Megan
If you find this episode helpful, please share with your friends.
Have questions after the episode?
Listen to the Podcast
Corn + Zucchini Fritters
- 2 zucchini (about 4 cups), shredded
- 4 ears corn, slice kernels off the cob
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- sea salt + pepper
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- cilantro or parsley, chopped for garnish
- Place shredded zucchini in a colander and lightly salt. Let sit 5-10 minutes, then squeeze juice from zucchini
- While zucchini is salting, combine corn, bell pepper, scallion, jalapeño, garlic, eggs, and thyme to large mixing bowl. Add zucchini to mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly add about 1/2 cup flour to mixture. Just enough to dry the mixture so that it holds together a bit. Add more if needed.
If you enjoyed this recipe we would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below and be sure to share with family and friends.
Megan + Cara
Balance, heal, thrive,
Cara + Megan